Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Developing as a Teacher

The more and more I am attending Tuesday Experience the more I fees as though I am developing into a teacher. When I first started at Tuesday Experience I was not as confident in myself as I should have been. I was not sure how everything was going to play out. As I have been attending Tuesday Experience more and more I feel much more confident in myself and my teaching abilities. As the weeks progress I am doing more and more in the classroom. For example I am able to lead lessons, and work one on one with the children who need help. I am also able to work with reading groups which is such a great learning experience.

I am really learning a lot about classroom management skills. The teacher I am working with says she does not have very good classroom management skills, so it is interesting to me to see how she runs her classroom. She also told me that she would like me to be able to take over the classroom for a day. She would like to see how I would run the classroom so she can also get new ideas for how to run the classroom.

However, with as much new information that I am learning, I do not see a lot of technology use in the classroom. The teacher I am working with does not incorporate any use of technology into her lessons. I find this a disadvantage for both the students and the teacher. Although this is a first grade classroom I feel as though the teacher should incorporate some sort of technology into her lessons. She has two computers in her room, but I am not sure if she lets the children use them any other day that I am not there. I think that in my classroom I would like to incorporate the use of technology in at least one of my lessons per day. This helps keep the students focused and it is an exciting new way for students to learn.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I totally agree with you on this blog, I feel that I am learning a lot form my Tuesday Experiences as well. More than I ever thoughIi would or even could. I feel as though I have been placed in the best classroom for me. I have felt comfortable in there since day one. I am accepted as a teacher in my class, This is a good feeling.

My classroom teacher has taught me so much already about how to manage a classroom, and how to teach and create interesting lessons. Like you mentioned in your blog, you didn't know how your tuesday Experience was going to be, that is just like me. I had so many aprehensions about this field study, but once I got there all my fears seemed to just drift away!!

You mentioned in this blog that you have learned a lot from your teacher about classroom management. I can relate to you with that, becasue so have I. Going into this Tuesday Experience I know we have learned a ot about classroom management from our book, but it is nice to go out into a classroom and experience this firsthand. My teacher does some great things when it comes to classoom management as I'm sure your teacher does too. I know these are things that i will and want to take with me when I go out to student teach and when I am in a classroom of my own.

Carolyn H said...

Lauren- I feel you pain! I am hardly seeing the use of tehcnology in my class as well. It seems that all the other classes have smart boards, but mine unfortunately, does not. I assume it's because we are only there 1 day a week and they might not be using it at that time. My host teacher likes to use the overhead projector and the machines in the resource room (on crates a copy into a poster size blow up which I used for my lesson- it's really cool!). I am hoping that they have more time on the computer than I have seen and will eventually get to use a smart board!