Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Classroom and Time Management

In Tuesday Experience, I am learning a lot about different teaching methods that I could apply in my classroom. I am also learning that sometimes things do not go as planned and you may need to adjust or re-teach certain subject material. For example my teacher was not sure what to do for a math lesson, so I was able to talk to her about a math lesson that I could do. We both decided on a math lesson based on counting coins, since the children have a hard time switching from one coin to another. It turned out to be a very good lesson but I feel as though sometimes even the best teacher may be unprepared. I am really learning a lot about having good time management. It is so hard to fit everything into a day never mind if you don’t know what lesson to do. Another aspect of teaching that I am learning a lot about is transitions. It is so difficult to transition to children from one subject or activity to another. They seem to be all over the place, not listening, and not prepared for the next lesson. The teacher I am working with has discussed this with me and has even said that transitions are very tough for her. Does anyone have any ideas that may be useful for a first grade classroom for transition times?

The one subject that I am learning so much about is language arts and writing. I did not quite understand how reading groups worked until I was able to take over a reading group. I did not realize how many different reading levels children in your classroom may be at. I also did not realize how difficult it may be to find books for children in a reading group. In being able to work with all four reading groups in my classroom it is making me feel more comfortable with what I need to do when I become a teacher. As I have written about in Professor Chatel’s Blog writing is a very important aspect in her classroom. I talked about the different types of writing activities my teacher incorporates into her classroom and how responsive the children are to them. I am learning so much just be being in the classroom it is unbelievable. I do not think that I would know as much as I know now if I was not able to be in Tuesday Experience. We have learned so much in all of our classes but actually seeing it applied makes a huge difference for me since I am visual learner. I hope that as Tuesday Experience comes to a close I can take away a lot of useful information that I will be able to use in my classroom.

1 comment:

Carolyn H said...

I have also learned that flexibility is extremely important in teaching. My teacher is so good at rearranging parts of the day and making adjustments- and it really isn't that hard. You just have to be flexible and not so rigid to think that what you have planned will not get done- becuase it will.
I'm also having a tough time with transitions. My teacher uses a technique where after one lesson is over she tells the students to meet her at their seats or the rug, etc. so they know where they are supposed to be. I am picking up quite a few useful technqiues from her!