Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Read Aloud

In the first grade classroom that I am working in for Tuesday experience, the teacher loves to do a read aloud book almost everyday. When I am there on Tuesday’s, I am the one reading the read aloud book while the children listen carefully. During the read aloud a student is able to ask questions or talk about the book only if they raise their hand and it really does pertain to the story being read. As I have witnessed in this room the children seem to like being engaged in the story and it helps them to focus on what is going on in the story. For example when Miss Rausch just reads the book, the children seemed to get bored and they became inattentive, but when they were able to interact during the read aloud they were more attentive, focused on the story and also what was happening in the story, rather than out the window. This is very important because it helps facilitate the students to understand and comprehend the story that is being read. I also like that Miss Rausch mixes up the stories that she reads, or has planned for me to read. She reads both non fiction and fictional stories, and even the students are able to read the stories. I think it is great that the students get exposed to so much different literature at such a young age.

You can tell how much her class focuses on reading and writing. Every free moment that the students have in that classroom is either focused on reading or writing. They are able to work on the stories that they are writing, or read a book if they finish their work early. You can see how much the students really enjoy reading, especially when they get to read in front of the class. They love sharing their stories with the class. It is amazing to see their faces light up when they are called to read their story. I love how Miss Rausch gives each student a chance to read their story and if they do not want to share they do not have to share. I am really learning a lot about different comprehension styles and different techniques to try to facilitate reading comprehension. I am learning so many different ideas that I can use in my classroom someday and I am really taking so much away from this experience.

1 comment:

Carolyn H said...

I find that reading and writing are an integral part of my class' strucure as well. If students finish their work early, they are expected to take out a book or their writing journal. I love this idea becuase they can choose what to read or write, so it does not seem like more work. However, what they do not realize is that they are building on skills in their spare time. This is also a great classroom management technqiue as it keeps them busy and prevents them (hopefully!) from talking or distracting others.